Grant FAQs

Noxious Weed Grant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Eligibility  |  Partnerships  |  Species Table  |  Mapping  |  Budget


Q: How many applications can I submit?

A: You should submit one application.

Q: How should I submit my application if I have multiple projects?  

A: It is common for one application to have several projects within it. Describe each project separately within the application in order of priority.  

Q: Can more than one entity receive reimbursement from a single grant?  

A: No, only one entity can receive reimbursement. If there are partner entities with reimbursable expenses, then it is the responsibility of the primary entity to disburse payment. 

Q: Can this grant continue into the next field season? 

A: For 2023 grants, the latest end date for a project is June 30th 2024. You may include early-season prep work or winter projects with the prior year's field season. If you apply for a grant the following year, make sure that the timeframes do not overlap.

Q: Can I depend on another grant cycle occurring next year?

A: Yes, provided everything continues to run smoothly, there will be a grant cycle around this same time next year. Funding one year does not guarantee funding the next year.


Q: Can a private landowner apply for a grant?

A: No, grantees are limited to local governments, conservation districts, and HOAs.  If you want more information about grants being awarded to your community (and if there are any benefits you can receive from them), contact your county, municipality, or conservation district.

Q: Can a non-profit organization apply for a grant?

A: Yes, non-profit organizations can apply. Depending on the project, it may be acceptable for a non-profit to work with a private landowner.


Q: Is there a maximum amount of funding we can request?

A: No, there is not a limit on the amount that can be requested, but there is limited funding available. The Colorado Noxious Weed Act directs CDA to disperse these funds across the state. All funding requests must be met with a 1:1 match. 

Q: How many partners can I have? 

A: There is no limit to the number of partners allowed. There are three spaces for partnership information on the top of the application. If you have more than three partners, ​list them and their phone numbers in the "Partnership & Organizational Capacity" section. If you have more text than that section allows, add their information to the "Additional Information in Support of the Project" section of the Application, or upload an additional document to the​​ Upload site ​with this information.​ The contributions of these partners (cash or in-kind) should also be made clear on the Budget Form.

Q: Can I include support letters from partners or other organizations?

A: Yes, you can include support letters. Upload supporting documents through the Application Uploader. You may combine multiple PDFs into one PDF, or zip them together and upload them in the "Additional" file slot.

Q: Can Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Habitat Partnership Program (HPP) grant money be used as a match to CDA grants?

A: No, matching fund sources cannot come from other state funds unless approved by CDA prior to submitting a project proposal. Please contact CDA staff with questions about matching sources that may need approval.

Q: Can funds from the noxious weed grant be applied to state and federal lands?

A: The use of state funds on federal lands is limited and must be approved in advance by CDA.
The use of federal funds on federal lands is not permitted.

Species Table

Q: Can I include hybrid species that are not listed in the species table?

A: If you treat the hybrid the same way as either of the parent species, lump it with that species and add that you will also treat the hybrid in "Additional Information".

If you treat it completely differently, leave the "List B Species" blank, and put the hybrid name in the "Additional Information".

Q: If I am going to treat an area twice, would I double the acreage reported?

A: No, do not double the acreage. Write the actual amount of acreage and then further elaborate that you plan to treat it twice.

Q: How do I estimate gross acreage if I know the infestation includes private land that I do not have access to?

A: You can use Google Earth or ArcGIS to visually estimate areas that you do not have access to. Do your best with any information available to you. If you do not have access to this land for mapping purposes, you will most likely not be able to treat it either, so take that into account when estimating acreage to be treated.

Q: How should I indicate multiple management objectives for List B species in different jurisdictions?

A: Within the same row for that List B species, use the three long-answer boxes to describe in detail the management objectives for each jurisdiction. Management objectives that are the same for different jurisdictions can be lumped together in one description. 

Q: Can I apply for funding for List B species only?

A: Yes, although List A species are scored as higher priority through the application ranking process. Approximately 2/3rd of our funding tends to go towards proposals with at least some List A species treatments.

Q: Can non-traditional treatment techniques (such as goat grazing) be included in the proposal?

A: Non-traditional treatment weed management techniques would be an eligible grant expense, as long as the noxious weeds being targeted can viably be treated that way.

Q: Can funds be used to scout for List A species? 

A: List A species are a priority for funding from the Noxious Weed Management Fund (NWMF). Surveying for these species is an eligible use of grant funds.

Q: Can funds be used to scout for Watch List species?

A: Scouting and surveying for Watch List species is an eligible practice under the NWMF, as long as your application does not solely focus on Watch List species. All survey efforts must be mapped in EDDMapS, including "absence" records for surveys. Treatment of Watch List (and other non-regulated) species is not an eligible grant expense.

Q: What does "Is species elevated to List A within the project area?” mean in the species table?

A: The question refers to some List B species being elevated to mandatory removal in some areas, essentially making them the same as List A species. Maps outlining the species that are elevated and where within each county can be found here.


Q: How many maps can I submit? 

A: An unlimited number of maps can be submitted and should be uploaded separately from the application and budget forms. Multiple maps can be uploaded either as one document or as individual documents. If possible, keep List A and List B species on different maps.

Q: Is point data adequate for reporting in EDDMapS? 

A: Yes, point data is adequate. Make a professional estimate on the number of gross acres and infested acres that will be treated based on the best available information. For larger infestations, drawing a virtual polygon will provide more accurate data. 

Q: Do I need to attach a map if I’m only asking for funding for education and outreach?

A: No, a map would not be necessary. 


Q: Is it acceptable to use full-time staff wages as part of our cash match? 

A: Yes, full-time staff wages that directly contribute to the project can be used as match, starting 90 days prior to your Official Start Date (if awarded). As a reminder, unless under special circumstances pre-approved by CDA, ​reimbursable staff wages are limited to part-time/temporary employees.

Q: Should we describe requested funds and matching contributions on the application?

A: Yes, provide a description of requested funds and matching contributions on the budget form. If you need to explain further, use the “Additional Information” at the end of the Application. All funds must be directly related to the project.

Q: Can landowner and volunteer labor hours be utilized for in-kind matching?

A: Yes, record the number of hours worked and use the Volunteer Rate for 2022 to estimate the value of that contribution.

Q: For multiple entities applying together, can we submit only one budget sheet? 

A: Yes, as long as all budget items are accounted for, clarified in detail, and listed in prioritized order, one long budget sheet or separate sheets may be submitted.

Q: Can we claim mileage, repairs, and gas as expenses in our budget? 

A: No, you can only claim mileage because the FEMA mileage reimbursement rate covers all costs of operating a vehicle for business purposes (including maintenance, repairs, taxes, gas, insurance, and registration fees).