The Feed Program regulates products fed to animals that are produced for human consumption and is part of a nationwide effort to help ensure the safety of meat, milk, and eggs. It also provides consumer protection for users of livestock and pet foods.

Protection of livestock/pet food industries and consumers is accomplished through:

  • BSE prevention inspections
  • Complaint investigations
  • Inspections of commercial feed/ pet food manufacturers and distributors
  • Label reviews for truth-in-labeling
  • Medicated Feed Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP)
  • Inspections in cooperation with FDA
  • Sampling and analysis of feed products

Laurel Hamling & Scott Ziehr
Feed Program Administrators



AgLicense records show that 3,394,946 tons of commercial feed were distributed in Colorado in large packages or in bulk during the calendar year 2022.

CDA Biochemistry Laboratory: Official Sample Results for feed and pet food samples collected January 1 - June 30, 2022

CDA Biochemistry Laboratory: Official Sample Results for Feed and Pet Food Samples collected July 1 - December 31, 2022. 

All companies distributing animal feed and treat products in Colorado are registered in the new online AgLicense system and distribution fees can be paid online.

To have a new account created, please print the Colorado Commercial Feed Company Registration Application, and send it with a check for the $75.00 fee. You will receive a certificate of registration via email with the account number and PIN for your new online AgLicense account. Then you may register the small package products you intend to sell and upload their labels.

The 2020 Fee Schedule has been approved and may now be viewed.

The commercial feed company registration annual fee remains $75 for the period February 1 - January 31.

The small package product (under 10-pound quantity) distribution fee remains $25 per product name. This is payable each January for the previous year's distribution.

The commercial feed tonnage minimum fee is $50 reported annually each January. Or $0.05 per dry ton of feed/feed ingredients, and $0.025 per ton of wet feed/feed ingredients above 60% moisture, whichever is greater.

Late fees apply if the company registration is remitted after the due date. Late fees also apply if the tonnage and distribution fees are remitted after the due date.


Laws and Regulations

Colorado Revised Statutes

Colorado Revised Statutes are made available for public use by the Committee on Legal Services of the Colorado General Assembly through a contractual arrangement with the LexisNexis Group. Any person wishing to reprint and distribute all or a substantial part of the statutes in either printed or electronic format must obtain prior permission of the Committee on Legal Services; permission is not required to reprint fewer than 200 sections of C.R.S. (please see §2-5-118, C.R.S.).

The Lexis Nexis website is the only official source of the Colorado Revised Statutes.

Instructions on using Lexis Nexis

Title 35, Article 60: Commercial Feeding Stuffs Law, Sections 35-60-101 to 35-60-115

The Rules governing Pet Food and Commercial Feed can be found through the website of the Colorado Secretary of State.


Quick Links

FDA list of Pet Food Recalls and Withdrawals

Industrial Hemp in Commercial Animal Feed Stakeholder Review

Feed Inspection

Livestock Commercial Feed Rules

Pet Food Rules & Requirements

Information on starting a pet food/treat business and pet food label info

The Business of Pet Food – AAFCO

Information on BSE Prevention

Feed test results from the CDA Biochemistry Lab


Forms & Downloads

New registrants will need to complete the paper Commercial Feed Registration Application. All renewal registrations and fees are completed online through AgLicense.

Company Registration Application

  • If you are registering the company for the first time, download and complete the Colorado Commercial Feed Company Registration Application. Print and send with a check for $75.00 to the address on the form.
  • When your account has been created, you will receive the account number and PIN via email to create a Username and Password.
  • The commercial feed company registration period is February 1 through January 31. Renewal Notices are sent via email before the end of the registration period. 

Small Package Product Registration

There is no form and no fee for Small Package registrations. 

  • Each product name sold in up to 10 pound packages must be registered prior to distribution, and labels must be uploaded for review.
  • To add small package registrations in your AgLicense account,
    • Login to AgLicense with your Username and Password
    • Scroll to and click on the ‘Products’ link
    • Click the ‘Add New’ button
  • Digital copies of labels must be uploaded for each small package product for review. 

Distribution Fees

There are no forms to complete to report tonnage or for remitting the Distribution Fees. These fees are paid online through your AgLicense account using a credit card or e-check. Distribution fees are paid once per year during January for the previous year’s distribution. Reminders are sent via email before the due date of January 31. 

  • Type 1 – Tonnage Fees: A minimum tonnage fee of $50 is payable for the quantity of Feed or Pet Food and bulk feed/feed ingredients sold in over 10 pound packages.  
  • Type 2 – Small Package Distribution Fees: Each registered product name sold in up to 10 pound package sizes has a fee of $25 per year. This fee covers all package sizes sold in up to the 10 pound size. Do not include the quantity of small-packaged product in the annual tonnage report. 

If you have forgotten your Username or Password, contact our office to obtain your logon credentials.

Related Links



  • The latest BSE information from APHIS

Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)

  • The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) is a voluntary membership association of local, state and federal agencies charged by law to regulate the sale and distribution of animal feeds and animal drug remedies

Center for Disease Control

  • BSE Information

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)

  • USDA helps to reduce economic losses of the livestock and poultry industries and the associated rural agricultural community from infectious, genetic, and metabolic diseases

U.S. Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine

  • Animal Food information from the Food & Drug Administration

Contact Us


Laurel Hamling
Program Administrator

Scott Ziehr
Program Administrator

Jason Mead
Administrative Assistant

Program Phone Number: (303) 869-9102
Fax Number: (303) 466-2860