Next Noxious Weeds Advisory Committee Meeting
Noxious Weed Advisory Committee Meeting
Tuesday, November 8 · 9:00am – 3:00pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 849 7871 4974 Passcode: mh1CE7
The Colorado Office of Policy, Research and Regulatory Reform is currently conducting a sunset review of the State Noxious Weed Advisory Committee as described in section 2-3-1203 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. Analysis is performed to determine if the advisory committee is necessary and should be continued or repealed. To provide input on this review, please visit: https://coprrr.
The Colorado Noxious Weed Advisory Committee was established in 2003 and consists of 17 members, with 15 of the members appointed by the Commissioner of Agriculture. Of the 15 appointed members, at least:
- one member represents private and public landowners or land managers;
- two members represent weed management professionals from the federal, state, or local levels;
- one member represents public or private weed scientists;
- two members represent local governing bodies (counties and municipalities);
- four members are agricultural producers; and
- three members represent knowledgeable resource specialists or industries, including, but not limited to, environmental organizations.
Two non-voting members are appointed by their state agency and approved by the Commissioner:
- one member of the Colorado Department of Transportation, and
- one member of the Department of Natural Resources.
The department makes every effort to balance not only the interests of the committee but also to ensure that representation reflects the different geographic areas of the state equally, to the greatest extent possible.
The state advisory committee provides a critical link between the citizens of Colorado and the Colorado Department of Agriculture. The committee members' primary responsibility is to solicit input from similar stakeholders within each member's area of expertise and/or region of the state as well as to communicate the committee's recommendations to the department to the region and stakeholders represented by each member.
Terms are limited to two years each and appointees are limited to two full terms each. These members meet quarterly in locations across the state to make recommendations to the department concerning the:
- designation of state noxious weeds;
- classification of state noxious weeds;
- development and implementation of state weed management plans; and
- prescribed techniques for eradication, containment, and suppression of state noxious weeds.
In addition, the state advisory committee will:
- measure the results and effectiveness of endeavors to eradicate, contain, and suppress noxious weeds;
- recommend to the Commissioner ways to enhance statewide efforts to stop the spread of noxious weeds.
All interested Coloradans are encouraged to identify one or more members of the state advisory committee that may be best able to represent their interests and perspectives in noxious weed management. Contact them and share your opinions. Ask to be kept informed of their discussions and recommendations.
Thank you to all of the Board members who have served Colorado in this important role. Your participation is greatly appreciated. Terms begin and end on the calendar year, and we welcome new Board members each January!
Advisory Committee Members
|1||Private Landowner||Dennis Smialek||Bennett||970-396-2561|
|2||Federal Weed Manager||Dan Tekiela||Lakewood||720-357-3211|
|3||County Weed Manager||Drew Marino||Creede||406-531-1092|
|4||Public Weed Scientist||Chrissy Alba||Denver||720-865-3561|
|5||County Official||Liz Smith||Gunnison||970-975-0708|
|6||Municipal Official||Jim Krick||Longmont||303-651-8451|
|7||Ag Producer||Tim Brown||Limon||719-740-1760|
|8||Ag Producer||Thomas McCracken||Crestone||303-550-3595|
|9||Ag Producer||Matthew Wacker||Springfield||719-523-3736|
|10||Ag Producer||Ron Arpin||Brighton||303-655-4282|
|11||Green Industry||Travis Harris||Wiggins||303-720-8245|
|12||Conservation Organization||Jim Alexander||Denver||720-238-5444|
|13||Resource Specialist||Bill Pawleshyn||Fort Collins||970-498-5753|
|16||CDOT (non-voting)||Ken Howlett||Denver||303-515-0758|
|17||DNR (non-voting)||Wilbur Strickert||Sterling||970-522-0975|
Quarterly Meeting Agenda/Minutes
- 2022 Agenda/Minutes
- 2021 Minutes
- 2020 Minutes
- 2019 Minutes
- 2018 Minutes
- 2017 Minutes
- Years Prior