Find updates about the HWY 50 Bridge Closure on the Gunnison County website


Missing/Stolen Livestock

How To Report Missing or Stolen Livestock

When your livestock are missing or may be stolen, please immediately report it to your local brand inspector and your local law enforcement agency (County Sheriff or State Patrol). The brand inspector will ask you to describe your livestock in as much detail as possible. Make sure to note any distinctive markings, such as brands, earmarks or ear tags, as well as other details of the loss. The brand inspector will help you with the report.

Upon receiving your missing or stolen information, the Colorado Brand Board will distribute the report to the brand inspection staff statewide and in neighboring states as well as law enforcement agencies, sale barns, county clerks, and others in Colorado.

In most cases the ownership of livestock can be easily traced if the animal has a clear, readable Colorado recorded brand. Ownership of unbranded animals is more difficult to determine.

If you are from a state other than Colorado, you can access the link below to obtain contact information for each state.


How To Report Strayed or Found Livestock

If livestock (cattle or horses) stray onto your property and you are unable to locate the owner, you must contact your local brand inspector within five days of discovering the animals on your property.

Points to remember:

  • You must notify the brand inspector within 5 days after taking custody of any stray livestock on your property.
  • You must care for the livestock until the brand inspector takes custody of the livestock.
  • Contrary to popular belief, the law does not allow you to "keep" the livestock if you can not locate the owner.

Missing and Stolen Reports

Contact Us