Find updates about the HWY 50 Bridge Closure on the Gunnison County website


Alternative Livestock

The Brand Inspection Division is responsible for licensing and inspecting alternative livestock (elk and fallow deer), and alternative livestock facilities.

Any person operating a facility at which alternative livestock are housed must obtain an alternative livestock facility license from the State Board of Stock Inspection Commissioners (Brand Board).


How to Begin the Alternative Livestock Licensing Process

  1. Send a letter to the Brand Board stating that you are planning to build an alternative livestock facility and giving the physical address and approximate size (for example, two acres, eighty acres, etc.). YOU MUST INCLUDE with your letter a schematic or plat drawing of your proposed facility showing approximate size of the facility, location of the perimeter fence, location of your internal working facility (chutes, crushes, traps, etc.), location of the quarantine pen and any pertinent landmarks near your facility. Landmarks could be creeks, rivers, ditches, roads, highways or any prominent structure.
  2. Upon receipt of your letter and site plan, the Brand office will notify the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Division (CPW) and request a location review by that Division. The brand inspector assigned to that area will perform a separate site review. The Brand Board will then notify you in writing of the CPW and brand inspector recommendations. If your site receives positive recommendations, you will be authorized to begin construction of your alternative livestock facility.
  3. Upon completion of your facility, contact your local brand inspector to arrange for a facility certification inspection, which must be mailed to the Board's office. Upon receipt of the inspector's certification, a properly completed license application, the annual license fee and all other required documents, the Brand Board will issue the license. The entire process for obtaining a new license will take 30 to 60 days. The license is good for one year and is renewable.

NOTE: It is advisable not to begin construction of your facility (perimeter fence) until site approval has been granted by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Division.

Fee Schedule