Bureau of Animal Protection

The protection of companion animals and livestock is a matter of statewide concern.  Therefore, it is the mission of the Bureau of Animal Protection to administer and enforce the provisions of the Animal Protection Act to prevent the neglect, mistreatment, or abuse of animals in Colorado.

Laws and Regulations

Colorado Revised Statutes are made available for public use by the Committee on Legal Services of the Colorado General Assembly through a contractual arrangement with the LexisNexis Group. Any person wishing to reprint and distribute all or a substantial part of the statutes in either printed or electronic format must obtain prior permission of the Committee on Legal Services; permission is not required to reprint fewer than 200 sections of C.R.S. (§2-5-118, C.R.S.).

The Lexis Nexis website is the only official source of the Colorado Revised Statutes.

C.R.S. Reference for Bureau of Animal Protection

  • Title 18, Article 9, Part 2: Cruelty To Animals, Sections 18-9-201 to 18-9-209
  • Title 35, Article 42: Animal Protection, Sections 35-42-101 to 35-42-115
  • Title 35, Article 42.5: Animal Shelters And Pounds, Section 35-42.5-101

File an animal cruelty or neglect report

Q:   Where do I file an animal cruelty or neglect complaint?

A:   To find the agency in your area that investigates reports of animal cruelty or neglect, click on your county on the map below. The agencies listed will be those directly involved in investigations in your area. In those counties that do not employ Bureau of Animal Protection agents, reports should be made to the Sheriff’s Office or local law enforcement. You can also call the Bureau of Animal Protection at the Colorado Department of Agriculture at (303) 775-3718 or email at rebecca.niemiec@state.co.us.

Q:   What information do I need to include?

A:   Complainants must provide a detailed description of the issue, which minimally would include the species of animal(s) involved, the location of the animal(s), and the animal owner information.  Complainant contact information is requested, but complainants may remain anonymous.

Q:   What happens after I file a complaint?

A:   Local law enforcement and/or animal control will follow up on complaint, with assistance from the Bureau of Animal Protection if necessary. Only law enforcement and district attorneys can file criminal cruelty or neglect charges against an individual.

Q:   How do I find out follow-up information about my complaint?

A:   Request that the contacted agency call you after following up on your complaint. Be aware that officers may not be able to comment on a case until the investigation is completed, especially if there is a possibility of pending litigation.