- 3 - 6' tall
- Blooms May to July
- Flowers 2 - 4" wide, 3 upward curved petals and 3 downward curved sepals with brown to purple streaks
- Multiple flowers along stems
- Leaves overlap and arise from the base, up to 35" long and 1 1/4" wide, sword-shaped, dark green with thickened middle
- Fruit 2" brown capsules
- Rhizomes 1/2 - 1 1/2" wide forming dense patches 20' long
- Reproduces by seed and rhizomes
There are few occurrences of this species documented in Colorado. View the known North American Distribution Map.
If you are aware of infestations that are not represented, please report your sighting. Register for an EDDMapS account, then select "Report Sightings". Please include photos with your submissions.